Update – January 2011
The Extreme Home Makeover Team returns to our area working in Beaufort County, South Carolina.
The official site: http://www.extrememakeoverbeaufortcounty.com/
Volunteer information: http://www.extrememakeoverbeaufortcounty.com/donate-time-volunteers.aspx
The work begins next week on 1/11/2011 when the family is announced. 🙂
BTW – the Savannah show filmed in November, 2010 is scheduled to air on Sunday, 1/16/2011 on ABC.
In a few days Savannah will be visited by the team from the ABC reality TV show Extreme Home Makeover. Along with a plethora of local business and local volunteers the team will renovate or replace an existing structure for a family or group in need (the project details have not yet been announced.) While certainly possible, it is difficult to imagine an American family that has not been touched/impacted in some way by this reality television program. In every episode we see legions of volunteers working around the clock to help members of their communities – is there anything more worthy of our time?
After hearing about the local project I hunted for additional information (on the Internet) and was surprised that it was a little challenging to get details so I am posting links to for volunteers as well as additional information on the show.
The web site for this effort is: http://www.ExtremeMakeoverSavannah.com/– the main site for the project in Savannah, Ga. (USA) After reviewing the information on the site (as well as additional links) here is a quick summary:
- Volunteers must be 18 or older
- Volunteers during the early/late shifts are probably the most needed (construction runs 24×7 in 4 hour shifts; early morning hour shifts are usually harder to fill)
- Both skilled and general volunteers are needed
- Volunteers will need to sign a release, dress appropriately for a construction site, and travel to the site via a shuttle service
- Many product donations (construction & furnishings) are still being sought (check out the Urgent needs list)
- Spectators will be allowed from 11/13-11/18 (Saturday to Thursday) from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Expect a standing-only area and be prepared for any weather conditions. See the FAQs for additional information.
- J.T. Turner Construction is the contractor for this effort.
- Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ExtremeBuildSAV
Schedules – see the event web site for details.
- Volunteer/Donate – now 🙂
- Spectator Viewing: 11/13-11/18 (Saturday to Thursday) from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- Fundraiser When :: Wednesday, November 17 @ 7:00 (Doors open @ 6:30)
Where :: Historic Grayson Stadium
Why :: Fundraiser and Auction to help to help raise money to pay off the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Savannah family’s current mortgage!
And yes, I hope to capture a few images from this wonderful event. 🙂